Difference between Term, Proposition and Formula

Disclaimer: Dieser Thread wurde aus dem alten Forum importiert. Daher werden eventuell nicht alle Formatierungen richtig angezeigt. Der ursprüngliche Thread beginnt im zweiten Post dieses Threads.

Difference between Term, Proposition and Formula
Is the following correct about the difference between Terms, Propositions and Formulae in PL1? (I am following the definitions 13.2.3 and 13.2.4 of 2019/2020)

1. A Term is either one single variable, or a function applied to n Terms. (–> recursive definition)

2. A Proposition is anything that is not a Term. So it can be a predicate, truth literal, two Terms connected using one of the known connectives, … So, a Proposition may consist of Propositions and Terms. But a Term may not contain a Proposition.

3. A formula is either a Proposition (–> complex formula), or a Term (–> atomic formula).

Is this correct, or am I missing something? I am especially asking because of Assignment 6.4, where we make a distinction between “formula” and “term”.

Often formula and proposition are synonyms.

But indeed the notes sometimes imply that anything can be called a formula, e.g., either a term or a proposition.

In any case, in A6.4, there are terms on the one hand (your case 1) and propositions/formulas on the other hand (your case 2).

1 „Gefällt mir“

OK, thank you! :slight_smile: