The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft (www.fraunhofer.com) currently operates 76 institutes and research institutions throughout Germany and is the world’s leading applied research organization. Around
30 000 employees work with an annual research budget of 2.9 billion euros.
Our working group »Self-Learning Systems« researches dependable Reinforcement Learning, i.e., we want to learn behaviors that are safe, performant, and explainable for many different industries in order to help engineers be more efficient. Our team members have diverse academic backgrounds from computer science, engineering and physics. Moreover, we combine expertise in a range of advanced machine learning topics. One of our research goals is to provide robust and safe algorithmic solutions for control and decision-making tasks for systems in complex dynamic environments. To this end, we employ deep learning in combination with reinforcement-learning techniques.
You are interested in making artificial intelligence useful for industrial application?
Then have a look at our offer!
What you will do
- You will create and maintain evaluation environments for different use cases
- You will implement and compare state-of-the-art approaches for machine learning based optimization
- You will apply state-of-the-art reinforcement learning methods to industrial use-cases
- You will work with surrogate models and / or simulations of, e.g., process engineering for biofuel production
What you bring to the table
- You are currently enrolled in a computer science, engineering, physics, or mathematics program
- You have some machine learning (ML) experience and have already worked with ML frameworks (e.g. Pytorch)
- You are interested in deep reinforcement learning
- You speak English and/or German fluently
What you can expect
- An interesting application-oriented field of research with innovative projects and a state-of-the-art laboratory environment
- Extensive professional support from scientific mentors
- Sufficient opportunity to develop your interests and skills
- Flexible working hours that allow you to balance your studies and on-the-job experience
- An open and cooperative working environment in our Nuremberg office
- Varied tasks with room for creativity
- Exciting seminars and events
Weekly working hours are determined by agreement. You can start from now on (as a student assistant from 10 to 20 hours a week or as an intern for a period of at least three months). You can reduce your hours before exams and increase them during semester breaks. You can flexibly determine the working days. After your studies, you have the option of working with us full or part time.
We would be happy to offer you the opportunity to write a bachelor’s or master’s thesis in cooperation with us in the abovementioned subject area. The thesis will be assigned and carried out in accordance with the rules of your university. For this reason, please discuss the thesis with a professor who can advise you over the course of the project.
We value and promote the diversity of our employees’ skills and therefore welcome all applications - regardless of age, gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion, ideology, disability, sexual orientation and identity. Severely disabled persons are given preference in the event of equal suitability.
With its focus on developing key technologies that are vital for the future and enabling the commercial utilization of this work by business and industry, Fraunhofer plays a central role in the innovation process. As a pioneer and catalyst for groundbreaking developments and scientific excellence, Fraunhofer helps shape society now and in the future.
Apply online now (PDF: cover letter, CV, transcripts). We look forward to getting to know you!
Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS
Requisition Number: 65297 Application Deadline: none City: Nuremberg