Tuesday Morning Tutorial Thread

Disclaimer: Dieser Thread wurde aus dem alten Forum importiert. Daher werden eventuell nicht alle Formatierungen richtig angezeigt. Der ursprüngliche Thread beginnt im zweiten Post dieses Threads.

Tuesday Morning Tutorial Thread
Dear all,

I have uploaded the materials for this week’s and last week’s tutorial here: https://gl.kwarc.info/teaching/AI/-/tree/master/Max/AI%20II/2020

In general all my tutorial materials go to this repository. Be sure to check out the more in-depth solution to part 3 of the Monty Hall problem inspired by the solution a student gave in the tutorial.

Best

Max

I have pushed this week’s material to the repository.

Also, in the tutorial I was not totally happy with my explanations for problem 2.3.

Firstly, the error that I made regarding disjunctions of random variables: P(A or B or C)= P(A)+P(B)+P(C) does of course not hold for mutually independent A,B,C. It does however hold for mutually exclusive A,B,C. I mixed up the two.

Secondly, in 2.3.2 I said that after “applying” the links, we can once again pretend that the individual RVs are independent. Let me clarify this a bit: the reason is that we have moved in this way from assessing which elements are operational to which elements are broken. The linked elements are not independent with respect to operability but they are still independent with respect to “brokenness”. Hence e.g. P(A_operational)=P(B_operational)=P(A and B)= P(A)*P(C).

Dear all,

I have pushed today’s tutorial whiteboards to the repository.

In addition, as we did not quite get to finish the Bonus problem, I will repeat it here in case somebody would like to try it (unfortunately no bonus points as my students already got a head start on it, so it would not be fair):

In presence problem 4 (https://kwarc.info/teaching/AI/presence-problems/presence-problem-4.pdf), add the following sub-problem:

“Assume that you tutor sometimes goes to the bar even when they are dirty, namely if they have a tutorial that day with P(bar|tutorial, not shower) = 0.001. Add a new node “Tutorial” and compute P(bar|tutorial, shower) (to 3 decimal places).”

I have pushed today’s material.

As stated in the tutorial, I am away on June 16th and 23rd so please visit one of the other tutorials.

Erratum in HW 7 correction
In my correction of assignment 7, I used an outdated and slightly incorrect version of the reference solution.

This did not in any way affect the number of points students got but for your convenience please note:

In question 7.12, P(H2|¬j1,¬j2,¬j3,j4) = 〈0.51,0.49〉, not 〈0.75,0.25〉.

Reminder: Tutorial June 30th
Reminder: I am back and my tutorial tomorrow, June 30th will take place normally