Wahlzeit Eclipse Setup

Disclaimer: Dieser Thread wurde aus dem alten Forum importiert. Daher werden eventuell nicht alle Formatierungen richtig angezeigt. Der ursprüngliche Thread beginnt im zweiten Post dieses Threads.

Wahlzeit Eclipse Setup
Hey,

we got feedback that some of you may want to use Eclipse as IDE and the setup is not trivial.
Here a short guide on how to integrate the Wahlzeit project into Eclipse IDE.

1. Add apply plugin: ‘eclipse’ to the build.gradle file
  2. Execute ./gradlew eclipse in order to generate the Eclipse config files
  3. Open Eclipse and Wahlzeit (Open project from File System → navigate to the Wahlzeit directory)
  4. Install Google Cloud Tools (Help → Eclipse Marketplace → Search Google Cloud Tools → install the plugin → restart after installation)
  5. Configure Java Facets (right-click on project → properties → Project Facets
  • App Engine Java Standard Environment: JRE8
  • Dynamic Web Module: 2.5
  • Java: 1.8)
  1. Convert to Google Cloud Project (right-click on project → convert → Convert to App Engine Project)
  2. Start Wahlzeit (right-click on project → Run As → App Engine)

Please let us know if this guide works for you :wink:

Cheers,
Georg

First of all thank you for the support.

It does seem to be working for me. However there is one little issue:

Once I succesfully run as → App Engine and bring up the wahlzeit page I can no longer shut down the server. As usual with Eclipse I have tried to use the red litte square icon “Stop the server” in the console tab to shut it down but once clicked it will just stay “<stopping…> App Engine Standard at localhost” forever without actually fully shutting down. Obviously without terminating properly it will not let me re-run wahlzeit and / or give me a HTTP Error 503. I have found a way to circumvent this by navigating to the servers tab and manually removing „App Engine Standard at localhost". After that it lets me succesfully re-run wahlzeit again. But there has to be another way for this (?)

This seems to be a rather common problem as various related Stackoverflow posts indicate. Since I haven’t been able to solve it yet, could you maybe help me out here? Thanks a lot

My thanks aswell for the support.
I have 3 Problems maybe someone ideas to fix them:

1. After running gradlew I get this message:

Deprecated Gradle features were used in this build, making it incompatible with Gradlbe 5.0.
I guess this is a problem, could it be related to the fact that i am using jdk-11.0.4?

2. Regarding step 5) i checked these 3:
App Engine Java Standard Environment: JRE8
Dynamic Web Module: 2.4 (However changing the Version to 2.5 results in the Error Failed while uninstalling Dynamic Web Module 2.4. Reason: Build path contains dupliacte entry:‘src/main/java’ for project ‘wahlzeit’ … if i do not get the duplicate error i get the Error with Reason: Wahlzeit does not exist.
Java: 1.8

However JavaScript was also already checked. Do i have to uncheck it?(edit: Apparently its impossible to uncheckt it)

3. In step 6 i can’t find:

Convert to App Engine Standard…

I can only find:

Deploy to App Engine Standard…
(Trying to use this currently results in "Project has error(s). Try again after fixing the problem.)
Does that also work?

Thanks for the Help!

@Chris.Hilz regarding point 1. This is just a warning by Gradle that you’re not able to easily upgrade to the newest Gradle version, which doesn’t matter for us.

To step 6): It seems eclipse done that automatically as i checked JRE8 from 5).

But same like others noticed shutdown behaviour is very weird. Eclipse apparently doesnt stop the server. I used “./gradlew --stop” but now eclipse still refuses to open server again. After restarting eclipse i get a NullPointer…
If i start using the console i have to stop and clean manually every time, which is a bit sad but works.

Is there any recommended Eclipse package that we should use for Wahlzeit?
Also does anybody how to solve the project not showing up for selection when you try to set up the remote debug configuration?

[quote=Georg Schwarz:1571317101]
Hey,

we got feedback that some of you may want to use Eclipse as IDE and the setup is not trivial.
Here a short guide on how to integrate the Wahlzeit project into Eclipse IDE.

1. Add apply plugin: ‘eclipse’ to the build.gradle file
  2. Execute ./gradlew eclipse in order to generate the Eclipse config files
  3. Open Eclipse and Wahlzeit (Open project from File System → navigate to the Wahlzeit directory)
  4. Install Google Cloud Tools (Help → Eclipse Marketplace → Search Google Cloud Tools → install the plugin → restart after installation)
  5. Configure Java Facets (right-click on project → properties → Project Facets
  • App Engine Java Standard Environment: JRE8
  • Dynamic Web Module: 2.5
  • Java: 1.8)
  1. Convert to Google Cloud Project (right-click on project → convert → Convert to App Engine Project)
  2. Start Wahlzeit (right-click on project → Run As → App Engine)

Please let us know if this guide works for you :wink:

Cheers,
Georg
[/quote]I cant find convert in step 6. Is there a updated guide for newer versions of Eclipse?

As far as I know wahlzeit does not use the google cloud tools anymore, thus making this guide deprecated.

I was on the wrong branch. Master instead of main.