Doubts in Coding Exercise

Disclaimer: Dieser Thread wurde aus dem alten Forum importiert. Daher werden eventuell nicht alle Formatierungen richtig angezeigt. Der ursprüngliche Thread beginnt im zweiten Post dieses Threads.

Doubts in Coding Exercise
I have the following doubts

1. In some cases, a sentences/paragraphs seems to be applicable for more than one Code. For example some sentences which is applicable for ‘Pilot customers’ is also applicable for ‘Focus on Customers’ because pilot customers are a subset of customers. Should these sentences be marked for both codes or only the most relevant?

2. Should all the sentences/paragraphs be coded against all applicable codes? (something like checking each content in the interview against all codes?). For example a paragraph concentrates on collecting requirements from external pilot customers. This can fall under ‘requirement engineering’, ‘external communication’, ‘focus on customer’ and also ‘pilot customer’ Is this fine if I code the content for all these codes?

3. Regarding the tool: I am facing problem using the tool. sometimes I am not able to remove a code and if I try to remove it more than one time, the code number goes to -1, -2 … and so on and until i reload the page i am not able to continue working with the code system. Is this a known problem? and is there any work arounds or something to take care while applying the coding?

4. One more question is… Whether only best practices must be coded Or all that had conversed regarding that topic be coded? Because the Code systems’ top level Codes say about design best practices, implementation best practices…?

Attachment:
codingExercise_error.jpg: https://fsi.cs.fau.de/unb-attachments/post_148812/codingExercise_error.jpg

One text segment may be coded with many codes in certain situations, or one code has overlap with another etc.
If you believe one code is applicable as per its definition then apply it. If you are going through your codings in the end to gather insights that you write up in your conclusion you want to have every instance of a specific concept in the list of codings for that code.

If I understand this concern correctly the answer is similar/the same to the first one. Yes some text segments are appropriate to be coded with a variety of codes. When you have worked with the codebook for a while you will probably memorize many of the codes so it becomes easier not to forget a particular aspect.

There are known scenarios where this may happen and we’re working on those. It should be possible though to continue working on the project. As you have noticed the counter will update correctly when you reload or simply every time you go to your project at a later point. What is a bit more annoying than the counter going haywire is when the removal of a code from a text segment does not work correctly. This sometimes happens when you have a larger segment coded and you only want to remove the middle part (basically splitting up the coding into two), while other codings are overlapping in certain ways. What usually works in these cases is selecting a text segment that either starts before or ends after the already coded segment (or completely contains it), select the code in the code system and hit the remove coding button. Let me know if your scenario is different, or cannot be solved by this workaround.

You should stick to the definitions in the codebook and the when to use and when not to use instructions there. If those are not clear, we’ll have to wait for clarification from Nikolay.

Thanks a lot for the clarification

Another possible answer in addition to Andreas’: Not all text needs a code; there may be text without any coding.