[Official]: Official and inappropriate postings

Disclaimer: Dieser Thread wurde aus dem alten Forum importiert. Daher werden eventuell nicht alle Formatierungen richtig angezeigt. Der ursprüngliche Thread beginnt im zweiten Post dieses Threads.

[Official]: Official and inappropriate postings
Dear AI-II students,

you may have seen the meme thread posted a while ago. I have two problems with that.

1: The way the post is written mimics the way I write “official” posts to the forum, so that students may think this could be an “official post”, i.e. from the instructor or the teaching assistants. Let me assure, it was not one of us. I am assuming that you just learnt (writing posts) from the masters and were not impersonating (as has been suggested).

2: I consider at least one of the memes (meme 7) sexist, and thus unappropriate for our forum. I would not like to censor forum posts, the forum is for you students, and I consider finding good memes for AI topics a significant cognitive and learning achievement, but there are limits.

ad 1: This shows me that we need to label the “official” posts (announcments, …) as such to make things clear. We will try to retro-label all official posts.

ad 2: I cannot edit posts (and would not want to and should not be able to), so I ask the authors to edit their post and remove inappropriate memes.

3 „Gefällt mir“

I can’t see why this should be sexist. It might seem distasteful to some readers, but it does not discriminate peoples because of their sex. It is indeed sexist to presume that being fucked and crying that it is „so deep“ is something that happens only to women :wink:

I acknolwedge that all of these value judgments are difficult.

Until I see an operational and decidable definition of sexism I prefer to err on the side of caution as long as the feelings of other people are at stake.

2 „Gefällt mir“

Please do not assume peoples sex/gender based on their appearance.

1 „Gefällt mir“

…except that the caption explicitly says „when a girl looks at my convolutional neural network“, and the actress depicted is Elsa Jean, a woman.

There’s a point to be made that this might indeed not be sexist in principle, but yours is definitely not it.

When opening the thread, I tried to make sure that nobody could get any harmful information that he considers to be official (I thought about it a lot before posting). I thought it was more fun to start the post with „Dear students“ and I think everyone understood that the thread is not official.
There is no intention to attack or annoy you (or anyone involved in AI-2) and I decided not to post a few memes because I was not sure if people involved think it’s funny or feel offended. Probably it is better if I label it clearly.
I do not think meme 7 is sexist though. Basically it shows the typical macho behaviour to impress a woman, but instead of using a car with a neural net, which shows that women are impressed by intelligence and are smart. Maybe I should not portray men as macho, though.
To be serious again: I cannot imagine that a woman could feel offended by the meme.
Nevertheless, I will edit the meme as soon as I can so it is no longer inappropriate. The posts seem to be too old for me to edit them and therefore I wrote to an admin.

I have looked at all memes again and cannot understand that other memes could be sexist or inappropriate. Maybe some memes use speciesism, but I dont think thats a problem.

Just to be clear about another thing: My name is in no way connected to the name of anyone here. The name comes from „Harry Potter und schon wieder irgendwas“ and I just noticed the similarity recently.
Although the same cannot be said for the name of all forum users that appear in the following meme.

Edit: I am now able to edit my posts again and I just edited the first meme thread post. It is now explicitly stated that the meme thread is not official and you will even see it before you open the thread.

5 „Gefällt mir“

Dear Kuschelbunny,

thanks for the clarification and the edit.

I was not accusing you of impersonating, I just got a bit worried that about misunderstandings (and some people did). And then we thought it would be a good practice to label the posts on a mixed forum irrespective of our discussion here.