[Official] Organization of the homeworks and tutorials

Disclaimer: Dieser Thread wurde aus dem alten Forum importiert. Daher werden eventuell nicht alle Formatierungen richtig angezeigt. Der ursprüngliche Thread beginnt im zweiten Post dieses Threads.

[Official] Organization of the homeworks and tutorials
Dear all,

We may adjust the details along the way, but the following is our plan for the exercises/homeworks:

• New exercises are published on Thursdays (first time this week) at https://kwarc.info/teaching/AI .
  • The submission deadline will be Sunday the week after (so you have 1.5 weeks per homework).
  • Tutorials will discuss example problems, the previous homework, and the current homework. They will start next week.
  • Some homeworks will be graded (ideally all of them, but we’ll have to see how the resource requirements develop). The points obtained in the homeworks will be converted into bonus points for the exam.

Details on the tutorials:

Details on the submission/grading process:

• All submissions are via studon.
  • Submission will be in groups of around 3 students.
  • Exactly one studon submission should be made per group. But all group members must be registered in studon to receive points.
  • Each question will be graded separately. Therefore, a separate submission will be required for each question.
  • Further details on the format of the submission will be part of the respective homework sheets.

I was asked whether a group needs to be exactly three students or if submissions of only one person or a group of two students are also permitted.

The group size shouldn’t be

• smaller than 3 because we wouldn’t have the resources to grade all homeworks,
  • larger than 3 because it would dilute the individual contributions and diminish the learning outcome.

However, we recognize that there are exceptional circumstances such as

• students leaving or joining the course after the initial formation of groups,
  • existing study groups whose size is not a multiple of 3,
  • incoming students, who fail to find a group right away.

Therefore, we don’t insist on a group size of exactly 3.

But obviously, there shouldn’t be groups of 5 - make two groups of 3 and 2 instead.
Similarly, there shouldn’t be multiple groups of size 1 - make a bigger group instead.

We will watch the group sizes and suggest merging/splitting groups as necessary.

If i want to attend the tutorial at Thursday 10:15-11:45 the first Zoom Meeting is on 19.11.2020? And we discuss at this meeting the Assignments, which we should submitt or are there other exercises beside the assignments, that we will discuss about?

Yes, 19.11.2020.

Tutorials will discuss example problems, the previous homework, and the current homework.

Language of the tutorials
We’re planning to have the afternoon tutorials on Tuesday and Wednesday in German, the others in English.

In all tutorials the language can be switched flexibly and students can ask questions in any language.
The language preference is only meant to help students who speak only one of the two languages.

Uploading of .pl files
When I upload a “foo.pl”-file on studon, it turns it into “foopl.sec” the moment I press “Hochladen”.
This clearly doesn’t work for prolog. How can I upload the file as a .pl file?

This is a Studon security feature. Don’t worry about it, your files should have the right endings on your side of things. It does not matter how Studon renames them.