Recoding

Grading, Red areas

Disclaimer: Dieser Thread wurde aus dem alten Forum importiert. Daher werden eventuell nicht alle Formatierungen richtig angezeigt. Der ursprüngliche Thread beginnt im zweiten Post dieses Threads.

Recoding

1. The first thing i want to know is if the recoding influences the grade or what will be graded in coding exercises.

2. Do we have to recode all texts we have coded so far in every new week?

3. And does the evaluation depend on the deviation from course average?

4. Seconds in terms of recoding, if an area is market red, does it mean that this area was coded by me and shouldn’t have been coded at all?
    What im asking is about the false negatives (>=1, >=2, etc)

Thank you very much in advance.
Greetings

Thanks for raising the question, I also have trouble understanding the agreement map.

Hi,

thank you for posting your questions in the forum.

It does. More on that on question (3)

You don’t need to in terms of our evaluation. However in a typical iterative coding process you would always go back and forth in the documents during iterations.
I would suggest that it might help you in writing up your theory in the fourth week of the methods exercise if your coding is consistent and of high quality across all documents.

The evaluation of the coding exercise itself, no. But the final grade yes.

• The agreement score influence your evaluation for the coding exercise.
    ** This is independent of the course average
    ** We use a (in my opionion coarse grain but generous) categorization of the agreement based on our past experiences with this data set. These categories are: bad < 20% < ok < 30% < good < 40% < excellent
    ** Remember, that agreement here means not the average agreement across course participants but with our gold standard coding of the data.
  • The evaluation of the coding exercise, aggregated with all other components that we document (quizzes, exercise discussion, summary exercises, review exercises, quality of crowdgrader feedback), is evaluated in its deviation from the course average at the end of the semester.

The red areas show you parts of the text where at least x specific codes are missing, where x is the number devined in with the slider. Be aware that the agreement maps don’t give you any indication of the precision of your coding. If you would code all paragraphs with all codes nothing would show up red in the maps, but your precision value will be very low.

Thank you very very much for your fast and detailed answer!! It helped me a lot!!!