Todays exam circumstances

Disclaimer: Dieser Thread wurde aus dem alten Forum importiert. Daher werden eventuell nicht alle Formatierungen richtig angezeigt. Der ursprüngliche Thread beginnt im zweiten Post dieses Threads.

Todays exam circumstances
Dear Mr.Kohlhase,

Unfortunately today’s exam did not go as planned.
First of all I fully understand that mistakes like today happen. We are still humans.
But it turned out that not everyone had the same conditions.

In my case, in the beginning I could work on 3 subtasks, the (predominant) rest was missing. Therefore I was forced to start with tasks I would normally not have started with. In addition I had to wait about 10+ minutes for the other tasks, because I didn’t get ahead with these 3. The waiting time was much longer than the 7 extra minutes.
Towards the end, I didn’t have the time for tasks that I could have safely completed because I would have chosen a different order of tasks.

I think I would have perfomed differently without the mistake, therefore I ask you to take this into account in the correction.

My proposal would be to reduce the 100% limit from 87 to at least 80 points or less. The points are the minutes we lost due to distraction, waiting etc.
That would be fair for us students.

Best regards

1 „Gefällt mir“

The noise pollution by Sabine was also quite substantial.

Its also possible to do a second exam. This was done before.

I think it would be more fitting to lower the amount of points needed for a perfect score. The exam from WS 18/19 last year required only 55 out of 80 points for a perfect score, while being considerably easier than this year’s test.

1 „Gefällt mir“

Then you penalize the people who need a good grade and therefore make the exam invalid.

I guess you mean that somebody made their exam invalid after realizing that it won’t be a good grade?
Firstly, I think only very few people did that.
Secondly, nothing changes for them. They can retake it as planned. Sure, it would be bad luck but no penalty

Yaeh you are right bad luck is more the word i would choose. But still it would have been better to finde a solution within the exam. For example, that there will be less points needed for the beste grade

I think it only would be fair to the students of this year, to try to have a not too big gap between the mean grade of this year, compared to the mean grade of the years before. By this, one could try to consider the circumstances of today.

I don’t know if people with the disadvantage could be given a leeway in correction. I personally wouldn’t mind as an advantaged person. Anyway, good/nice decision from Mr. Kohlhase to allow us some compensation time.

A bit offtopic but I think the AI staff did an outstanding job for the course during the semester given the situation and huge work load. A bit surprised by the sheer amount of people today.

This is always a difficult topic, but raising the difficulty AND the amount of points required for a perfect score, was a bit much, even without the external hindrances. We get 5 bonus points (or 3?), while last years course got 25.

1 „Gefällt mir“

I completely agree with mXnd. The fact that I could only work on three problems for a considerable amount of time put me at a disadvantage. Under normal circumstances, I would not have spend as much time working on these problems. The lost minutes would have been useful for later questions.